You’re making a fresh start in a new home, maybe even in a new city. Make sure that when you arrive at your new home, things don’t start off on a sour note because of mistakes made when preparing your appliances for the move.
It’s critical that all appliances are clean and dry prior to moving. You don’t want to find mold and mildew growing in the fridge or grease on the range that has turned rancid and leaves spots. This is especially important if you put appliances in storage. Cleaning instructions should be included in the appliance’s owner’s manual. If your manual does not include instructions, follow the general guidelines below.
Cleaning appliances prior to moving
Cleaning and packing your refrigerator
- Wipe the exterior of the refrigerator with a mild detergent.
- Dispose of all perishables.
- Unplug the refrigerator at least 24 hours prior to moving.
- Defrost freezer.
- Clean the inside thoroughly with a mild detergent and dry surfaces.
- Remove shelves or secure them so they don’t move. Glass shelves should be removed, cleaned and carefully packed in a carton.
- If your fridge has an ice maker, disconnect the waterline and empty the water reservoir.
- Bolt down the compressor or motor, if applicable.
- Tape the door of the refrigerator and freezer shut, if possible.
- When at the final destination, do not operate the fridge for at least 24 hours after delivery.
Cleaning and packing your stove
- Clean the stove and oven.
- Remove racks and pack in a carton.
- If a gas stove, make sure the gas is turned off before disconnecting the line. Take care with gas connections, as they can be fragile. If unsure of how to properly disconnect the line, contact your gas company or call a qualified technician before move day.
- Tape down knobs and elements to ensure no parts are lost during the move.
- Tape the door securely shut.
Cleaning and packing your dishwasher
- Empty and clean dishwasher thoroughly by running it with hot water and some detergent.
- Remove utensil holder/racks and pack separately.
- Disconnect and drain hoses; leave the door open for a few days prior to the move.
- Place dry hoses wrapped in towels and packing paper in the dishwasher or inside a carton.
Cleaning and packing your washer and dryer
- Washer and dryer units require special handling, refer to the owner’s manual or contact the manufacturer.
- Remove all hoses and pack in a separate box.
- For the washer, secure the drum. Consult the manual for instructions.
Consider your storage options
If you will not be moving with, or at the same time as your appliances to your new home, storing them in a safe, secure, storage facility is a great option. Matco Moving Solution offers storage solutions in Calgary, Edmonton, and other locations throughout Alberta, Northwest Territories and Yukon.
Choose a reputable moving company you can trust with your appliances
Appliances are often some of the more expensive items in a household. This makes choosing a reliable residential moving company you can trust even more important, if you are moving appliances. Matco Moving Solutions has a staff of highly trained movers, a modern fleet of equipment and guarantees your belongings arrive to your new home damage free. Contact Matco Moving Solutions for your next move.