Moving a house full of kids is an extremely busy and stressful period for anyone. When you are balancing packing and scheduling with school pickups and sports schedules, it can become even more overwhelming.
Along with the logistical concerns of moving, children can have an emotional time leaving behind an old and familiar home and relocating to a new space. Thankfully, there are some simple ways you can make the preparation and moving day a less challenging experience for you and the kids.
Advice for Packing and Moving with Children in Calgary
With more than 50 years of moving experience in Calgary, Matco Moving Solutions has completed many residential moves for families in Calgary and across Alberta. Our team are experts in both with domestic and international moving.
Here are our top 5 tips for making the transition easier for every member of the family, especially the young ones:
- Inform the Kids – Hold a ‘family meeting’ once the moving decisions have been made final. Be clear about the timelines for the move, how the new living situation will impact their school or other activities, and what they can expect at the new home. This can be emotional for children, but being upfront and detailed about the changes can help make things easier. Listen to their concerns openly and explain the benefits and reasons you are relocating as best you can for their age and maturity level.
- Make a Plan – Getting the kids involved in preparing for the big move can help them get excited about the transition. Explain where and how their help will be needed and teach them how to properly organize, protect, and pack their own belongings. Whether they are old enough to organize their toys or can tackle their entire bedroom, having help from your children will make the whole family feel united and involved.
- Get Organized – Labelling is important for every moving day, but it becomes particularly important for families. No matter how many kids you have, keeping boxes and their contents identifiable will make the process of moving and unpacking much easier. Give kids stickers or another fun symbol to mark their boxes. This is also a good time to encourage children to part with unused toys or clothing they have outgrown.
- Prepare Essentials – Food is important for everyone to stay fueled on moving day, but it is especially important for young kids. Keep their favourite snacks handy so that they aren’t hungry. With so many details and changes, it is easy to lose track of time and tummies. Package the snacks and tell them where they can find them ahead of time. Toilet paper, hand soap, towels, and favourite toys can also help kids feel comfortable .
- Ask for Help – Whether you have family members who can pitch in or need to hire a babysitter, having someone else look after the children for a few hours can be a huge relief. During the peak of packing or during the more attention-demanding hours of moving day, having someone dedicated to looking after the kids (especially toddlers or newborns) is advised.
Work with Trusted Movers in Calgary for Your Family’s Moving Day
The team at Matco Moving Solutions can support your family as you relocate your home. From large houses to small apartments, our Calgary movers have experience, knowledge, and resources to make moving day a seamless process. We have experience providing moving services to young families and families with older children. We are happy to provide direction and advice for an easier transition. If you require more packing tips or storage solutions, we can also be of assistance.
Contact Matco Moving Solutions at 1-800-661-3618 to get more information about our moving company in Calgary. Request your free quote online for your residential move and check out our moving checklist to get started.